Marilyn Monroe would have been 89 this year. Over the weekend I watched the Secret Life of Marilyn Monroe. I enjoyed it and found it very interesting. I had no idea that Marilyn died at age 36. So young! She definitely coined the term sex symbol. She had many loves in her life – her first husband James, the famous baseball player Joe DiMaggio, and Arthur Miller. There were so many facts that I didn’t know about Marilyn Monroe. I thought I would share them with you…
1. She has her famous hourglass figure. She was a size 12, but the measurement system has changed within the decades and now it would be equivalent to a size 8.
2. She was not into the bling. She actually didn’t like diamonds. She was famous for singing the song, “Diamonds are a Girl’s best Friend”. She only wore her nice pearls, all costume jewelry and the ring that Joe DiMaggio gave her.
3. Marilyn Monroe had quite a heavy fuzz beard on her a chin, but she refused to remove it. It turned out to be quite useful in her acting career as it meant that the film studios didn’t have to resort to any special effects to get that soft glow to her face that was all the rage back then.
4. She was on the cover of the first Playboy ever. She only earned $50 for her nude photos.
5. She almost chose the screen name of Jean Adair before settling on Marilyn Monroe.
6. Monroe made Joe DiMaggio promise to leave flowers on her grave every week if she died before him. He kept his promise and had half-dozen red roses delivered three times a week to her crypt for 20 years. It is claimed that Joe DiMaggio’s last words were: “I’ll finally get to see Marilyn
7. Monroe was Truman Capote’s first choice for Audrey Hepburn’s role of Holly Golightly in Breakfast at Tiffany’s.